Summer is the perfect time to create lasting memories with your friends and family. If you are able to take a vacation this summer, or get away for a weekend…or even just a day…we have some exciting local destinations for you!
We have put together a fantastic list of local activities in Northern Indiana and Southern Michigan that you and your family can enjoy together this Summer!!
Northern Indiana and Southern Michigan (Michiana) contain plenty of places and opportunities to make lasting memories without the long-distance travel hassle and high expense. There are SO many great activities for kids and families in our area! There is really no need to travel far if you don’t want to!
Camping in Muskegan:
Activities in Muskegan:
- Michigan’s Adventure Amusement & Water Park - awesome water park that also has roller coasters and tons of kiddie rides, kiddie pools, etc. It’s Snoopy themed!
- Lakeshore Bike Trail
Beaches in Muskegan:
South Bend, Indiana:
Camping in/near South Bend:
- Potato Creek State Park – has canoeing, hiking, bike trails, cabins, etc. You can also rent a Family Cabin.
Activities in South Bend:
- Potawatami Zoo - Check out their upcoming events. Join the society for extra discounts at nearby zoos.
- Potawatami Pool and Park – Kiddie pool as well as full-sized pool, water slides and lots of lifeguards!
- HealthWorks Kids Museum - Great for younger kids.
- Center for History
- Studebaker National Museum
- Morris Center of Performing Arts
- College Football Hall of Fame
- South Bend Chocolate Factory and Museum - Offers 45 minute tours.
Restaurants in South Bend:
- Macri’s Italian Bakery/Deli - Delicious pastries and sandwiches.
- LaSalle Grill - Fine dining at it’s best.
- Fiddler’s Hearth – Irish restaurant with live entertainment.
St. Joseph, Michigan:
Camping in St. Joseph:
Activites in St. Joseph:
Restaurants in St. Joseph:
- Schu’s Grill and Bar - Overlooks Lake Michigan, family friendly.
- Silver Beach Pizza – Best thin crust! Overlooks Lake Michigan.
- Kilwin’s Chocolate and Ice Cream - Delish!
Beaches in St. Joseph, MI:
- Silver Beach County Park - Beach volleyball, playground equipment, lifeguards.
Nappanee/Shipshewana, Indiana – Amish Country:
Camping/Log Cabins in Shipshewana:
Activities in Nappannee/Shipshewana:
- Amish Acres
- Amish Acres Round Barn Theatre
- Heritage Trail Driving Tour
- Shop Shipshewana
- Davis Mercantile
- Shipshewana Auction & Flea Market
- Courtyard of Arts
- Dutch Creek Farm Animal Park – 260-768-7194 Ext 2
- Cook’s Bison Ranch
- Pumpkinvine Bike Trail
- Hostetler’s Hudson Auto Museum
- Splash Universe Water Park
- Buggy Line Tours
New Buffalo/Berrien County, Michigan:
Activities in New Buffalo/Berrien County:
- Antique shops - Love the antique shop next door to Redamak’s – travel down Red Arrow Highway and you’ll see a bunch of great shops!
- New Buffalo Railroad Museum
Restaurants in New Buffalo/Berrien County:
- Redamak’s – Best burger you’ll ever eat – casual atmosphere – perfect before or after the beach.
- Rio’s – Authentic Mexican takeout, outdoor picnic bench seating only. Perfect before or after the beach. Delicious burritos and chips and salsa!
- Brewsters Italian Cafe – Mid-price restaurant, good pizza.
- Mooney’s Blue Moon Ice Cream
- Oink’s Dutch Treat Ice Cream and Yogurt
- Luisa’s Cafe & Swedish Bakery – Perfect spot for breakfast. Sit on the enclosed porch with the newspaper, pancakes, freshly squeezed OJ and coffee and you’ll never want to leave!
Beaches in New Buffalo/Berrien County:
Michigan City/Porter, Indiana:
Camping/Beaches in Michigan City:
Activities in Michigan City:
- Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets - 120 discount stores. Sign up to become a VIP member for extra discounts.
- Washington Park Zoo
- Oasis Splash Park
- Taber Hill Winery and Restaurant – Buchanan, MI: Wine tasting. Upscale restaurant – reservations recommended.
- Round Barn - Three locations. Check out their Summer Concert Series
- Lemon Creek Winery - Berrien Springs, MI.
- Journeyman Distillary – Three Oaks, MI
So Dough Savvy Tip: Want to get away cheaply but are not the camping type? Head over to vrbo.com and negotiate a last minute deal on a vacation home rental!